stress, anxiety/depression, insomnia
A natural approach to anxiety, depression and insomnia
This trio affects some of us daily and others at various points in our lives. While there is no magic pill that will completely erase stress, anxiety/depression or insomnia, acupuncture and Ayurveda offer a plethora of safe, natural treatments and tools to handle these conditions.
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 16. 2 million adults experienced a major depressive disorder in 2017. This statistic is only what has been reported….. Pharmaceuticals are the typical line of treatment with a host of unwanted side effects. Acupuncture and herbs along with dietary and lifestyle changes offer safe and effective alternatives.
- Acupuncture alone can profoundly relax the nervous system, while increasing the flow of energy (Qi) in the body and balance the internal organs at the root of these conditions (often Liver, Heart, Kidney, Spleen). Most patients feel better after their first acupuncture treatment and the benefits become sustained from regular acupuncture treatments.
- Herbs from Traditional Chinese Medicine can deeply nourish and balance these organs and help to smooth the flow of Qi, calm the mind and settle the heart.
- Western herbs (most notably adaptogens) help our bodies adapt to non-specific stress so we can handle stressful situations better, become more resilient and help to calm our bodies and minds so we sleep better at night.
- Dietary changes can improve sleep quality, lessen anxiety and reduce insomnia. Restructuring ones meals and making sure certain nutrients and qualities of food are present also positively impacts these conditions.
- Lifestyle changes are wonderful and empowering tools that are done at home and in between appointments. A recent study revealed that 30 minutes of aerobic exercise is equivalent to a standard dose of antidepressant medication.
- Yoga therapy is another tool to practice at home to lessen the intensity of anxiety and depression, reduce stress and induce sound sleep.